Monday, January 25, 2010

Time's person of the year: You

The world wide web has certainly made the "older" generations (35 and older) more computer savvy. Really, how many of us grew up with a home computer??? It just didn't happen. Now children in day care are learning how to operate computers. The older generation is now getting on the computer and having fun with it instead of being scared of it. A perfect example is my parents and his siblings. They are all on facebook. They keep in better touch now than they ever did before. They are playing games on the computer and interacting with their children and grandchildren like they never have before. They are communicating in a language that the children understand (not counting the abbreviations for texting....)
Also, people are becoming more self educated about everything from handy man repairs to medical diagnoses. (I am not counting online formal educations.) You just have to be a little smart about where you actually get the information. We all know that there are web sites out there that give false information. That aside, people are getting online more and more and finding information about everything.
Youtube is letting the common Joe get their 15 minutes of fame. It has even allowed some people to be discovered. It is allowing you to express yourself creatively and letting the world see just how talented you are (or aren't). It is also letting those that are hermits "get out" into the world and communicate with others.

3 comments:

  1. I'm so glad that older generations are using Facebook to keep in contact with their families and friends. I hope that Facebook will be around when the older generation becomes the elderly generation. It should be even quicker and easier by then. The elderly will probably be able to talk to the program instead of typing and just think about how many family members who are stretched for time will be able to touch base with their parents, grandparents, greatgrandparents, and . . . due to the convenience. Thank you for your post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the fact that you mentioned the "hermit". I feel like my son (8 y/o) has a different confidence about himself because of youtube. I can't explain it. When I grew up we all wanted to look like Racheal Hunter and looked to her for the "normal". But the people that my son looks up to are normal people that set attainable goals. He is always looking up people that work at Lego and following their blogs and talking about what he needs to do to get a job designing. Maybe it isn't that crazy, but feels like it to me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I must admit that I just recently joined Facebook. I had my 20 year high school class reunion this past summer and Facebook was used to connect with everyone. I not only connected with old high school friends but also college friends and past co-workers. It was awesome (am I dating myself..oops) to me that after losing touch over the years I have reconnected with them again. I guess I am one of those hermits you speak of. I also found in my nursing practice patients use the internet to become more informed consumers of their health care. Support groups are utilizing the virtual communities to reach those whom may not others seek face-to-face support.

    ReplyDelete