Thursday, February 4, 2010

Week 3 Readings ch 5,7, 8 and 11, 12

I am going to wrap all of these chapters up in one big discussion instead of breaking each down and having several long discussions. I feel that these chapters all go together as far as the ideas that came to my mind.
I feel that to be a professional, it would be nice to have the time and resources at work to be able to connect with other professionals and ask questions and have informational sharing. In the real world(nursing), we do not have that luxury. We also don't have the equipment. We hardly have enough equipment(computers) to do our required work. We do most of the learning on our own time on our own equipment. Like I have said in other posts, I would hope that, as professionals, we are honest with one another. We are telling the truth and stating facts. It is nice when we are presented with information that makes us think. In nursing, at least for me, every patient is a puzzle. No two symptoms are exactly the same so no two treatments are exactly the same. It keeps the mind stimulated. This is what a professional site should be able to do as well as answer any questions you have.
In reqard to online learning, I like how the WISE program allows students the opportunity to work on a problem and when they get stuck, they can ask for hints. This allows students to use critical thinking skills to try to work out the issue on their own. If they get stuck, instead of getting frustrated, they can use the hints.
In online learning, since there is such a diverse group, or can be, we can all learn from each other. Collaboration is essential. Why should we reinvent the wheel when someone out there has already tried everything we have. We need to gain knowledge from those out there who have been doing this longer than we have. In health care, sometimes you never see certain diseases or conditions. Then, one day you have a patient come in with something you have read about in nursing school 15 years ago. I would turn to someone who deals with the disease on more frequently and knows the ins and outs. You don't learn everything from books. Experience is a great teacher and if you can learn from another, why not?
I know that online community involvement comes and goes as far as members are concerned. However, it is there when you need it. There are also others on there that if they know something about your question, or someone who can answer your question, they can get in touch with them. Then they can get your answer. Sometimes it's not what you know but who you know. Sometimes that will get you far. Sometimes you just need to be directed to the right people to gain the best information.
Again, I tried to condense all the information because I felt like I rattled on too much last week.

7 comments:

  1. Cynthia,
    Wouldn't it be nice if all of the technology that is available to our individual careers could magically be placed in my classroom, your hospital, and we automatically would know how to use it to the benefit of my students and your patients!
    I think that in both of our professions, money is an issue. That is one reason why I am interested in what a computer and a browser "can do for me". I know that there is a world wide web out there waiting for me to take advantage of it, I just have no idea where to start. I have already been given so many ideas from the reading: webquests, WISE, NetCourse, etc., and I'm excited to see what I can do in my classroom with this new world that is opening up for me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cynthia,
    I agree with you about seeking out experienced nurses when a problem arises. I think they are the real "experts" in the nursing arena. There are still some things we can't learn from books.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree that people are highly motivated to learn in context. Just like the copier technicians at the water cooler Knowledge occurs only when you can integrate and apply. I am sure nurses learn lots from each other and others on the medical team when patients with unusual conditions are presented. Do you ever get time to look things up? What sources do you use. My dad has been recently ill with oral cancer. My mom keeps a "Caring Bridges" page up for friends and family. It is a free blog site for people with medical problems. It is basically a blog site. My parents friends can sign a guest book. As a friend I can subscribe so that I get an email when the site is updated. Many of these are open I think health professionals could learn tons from reading about how families perceive care and the challenges people face when navigating the medical system.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jennifer,
    I have heard of Caring Bridge. I have to say I had a friend use it years ago. Unfortunately I wasn't that big into computers when she was using it. I regret that now. It seemed like a wonderful way to keep family and friends updated while not being overwhelmed by all the calls that needed to be made to keep everyone in the loop.
    Where I get most of my information is the national certification websites. I am currently a certified gastroenterology nurse - buts and guts as one MD puts it, and a certified PICC (basically a long IV) nurse. I get on the official sites. They have updated information regarding new research and products that come out. Also there are message boards that you can post or answer questions from other nurses.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have heard of Caring Bridge, but I haven't viewed it. Thank you for reminding us about the site. I receive periodicals and online information from ONA, ANA, HPCA, NHS, NACN, ONS and several others. I visit the nurses.com website when I have time. Saint Francis uses a clinical ladder program to encourage nurses to present and apply research. These presentations give RN Case Managers up-to-date information about hospice policies and procedures.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cynthia, it seems that WISE is a great virtual community since it provides opportunities to learn by doing and apply the knowledge. Learners solve problems by collaborating with the peers and get whatever support they need. As for nursing education, I agree that experience is extremely important and definitely use of virtual cased-based scenarios would help learners a lot in their professional development.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Re: Caring Bridge Jennifer has introduced. Self-help is such a great feature enabled by the current technology and powered by collective human wisdom. The information and knowledge, whether authorative or not, is something we cannot overlook.

    Re: WISE. I wonder how many of you have actually logged onto the site to take a look at the software. In it there are all kinds of tools for an eductor or community members to build inquiry-based science learning. Have you thought about that those tools provide affordances that facilitate the constructive social collaboration? So, you see the relationship between technology, the design features of WISE, and the impact of technology in developing and facilitating a learning community.

    ReplyDelete